We'll be back coaching on Saturdays in March. See you then.
The youth section is now at full capacity and is no longer taking new members. If you or your rider wishes to join the waiting list please email the secretary: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to West Lothian youth coaching
In May 2010, we launched a cycling club for riders aged 6-15. The aim is to give riders the opportunity to improve their cycling skills in a safe, traffic-free environment.
Part of the Go-Ride network of community cycling clubs, coaching activities are designed to introduce young people to a range of cycling disciplines – from mountain, road and track biking to cyclocross.
The first session is free.
The sessions run from the beginning of March to the end of November.
Each month costs £6 and this includes session fees, membership of West Lothian Clarion and membership of the National Clarion.
Riders joining part way through a term will pay on a pro-rata basis.
We rotate between three venues to allow our riders to develop their skills in different environments.
1. Leisure Centre, Linlithgow
2. Oracle Car Park, Blackness Road, Linlithgow
3. Beecraigs Country Park
Full details of our schedule for 2014 can be found here
Sessions are 90 minutes long (60 minutes for our youngest riders). During the summer they take place at 18:30 on Wednesdays. In the autumn and early spring they take place at 09:00 on Saturdays.
Sessions start with a bike, helmet and clothing check followed by a warm up.
The riders are split into three ability groups and are coached in bike handling skills, which will develop all aspects of bike riding, including racing in a safe traffic-free environment.
Each session finishes with a fun challenge (e.g. race or relay) and a warm down.
All activities are supervised by our fully trained volunteer coaches..
Find out what our focus is and where we are from week to week
Find out all about our multi-discipline race series for members
1. Your rider arrives 5 minutes before the start.
2. Your rider has been to the toilet.
3. You sign your rider in.
4. Your rider's helmet fits properly.
5. Your rider's bike is in good working order.
6. Your rider is wearing appropriate clothing.
7. Your rider knows the club's code of conduct.
8. you sign your rider out at the end.
For Essential advice on fitting a helmet
1.Handlebars and saddle are tight.
2. Brakes are adjusted and work correctly.
3. Gears are adjusted and don't 'jump'.
4. The chain is lightly lubricated.
5. Your rider's bike is fitting properly.
For more details watch the instructional videos at or visit your local bike shop.